A new organization has been established for elementary teachers called the New York State Elementary Classroom Teachers Association (NYSECTA). The organization will provide numerous benefits and professional development opportunities for classroom teachers Pre-K through grade 6, college and university professors who train our future classroom teachers and the future professionals themselves.
NYSECTA will offer:
- Peer-to-peer sharing of best practice, research, innovative programs and problem solving;
- Leadership opportunities;
- Recognition for excellence in teaching and leadership;
- Quality professional development that becomes a part of a teacher's portfolio;
- Active involvement in NYSECTA which provides credit towards a teacher's APPR; and
- Resources for teachers who need 175 hours of professional development every five years to maintain their professional certifications
NYSECTA will be hosting their inaugural conference at the Hilton Westchester, in Rye Brook, NY, August 12 - 14, 2013. The conference will be dedicated to the courageous and selfless teacher colleagues and their students from Newtown, CT. The keynote presenters will be Dr. John B. King, Jr., Dr. Bena Kallick, and Dr. Marc Brackett.
Information about NYSECTA and registration materials can be found at http://www.nysecta.org/ or download a flier for the conference.