The application for the AFT Latino Caucus Maria Portalatin National Freedom Scholarship is now available. Please download the file linked below and duplicate and distribute to eligible students in your school.
The application postmark deadline is Friday, June 13, 2014. Three students will receive a $1000 book stipend and laptop.
This scholarship is named after the longtime Latina trailblazer who dedicated her life to empowering Latinos in our workplaces and communities. Maria Portalatin helped create the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement, was a member of the United Federation of Teachers, the New York State United Teachers and the American Federation of Teachers. This annual prize is named the Freedom Scholarship because we understand that through education, minority students are free to pursue better ways of life.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- Be a high school senior in a public school
- Be of Hispanic/Latino heritage
- Have a parent or guardian who is a member of a union
Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Academic work
- Personal statement
- Letter of recommendation
- Complete the Personal Information Form.
- Attach a copy of your most recent high school transcript.
- Complete the Personal Statement Form.
- Have a teacher or guidance counselor complete the Recommendation Form.
- Place all materials in one envelope and send to:
AFT Latino Caucus Scholarship Program
52 Broadway, 11th floor
New York, NY 10004