- English Language Arts - 1
- ELA Summary - 2
- ELA Regents Examination Implementation - 2
- Transition Timeline to 2011 Learning
- Standards Courses and Exams - 2
- Mathematics - 3
- Math Summary - 3
- Mathematics Regents Examinations Implementation Transition Timeline
to 2011 Learning Standards Courses and Exams - 4
- Examination Schedule: June 2014 - 5
- Examination Schedule: June 2015 - 6
This Fact Sheet provides information on the implementation of the Regents Exams in English Language Arts (ELA) and in mathematics (Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra II), which are aligned to the Common Core Learning Standards, herein referred to as the 2011 Learning Standards In January 2011 the Board of Regents adopted the Common Core State Standards including creating the New York State Common Core Learning Standards (CCLS) for English Language Arts & Literacy and Mathematics.
To allow time to prepare students to prepare to take the new Regents Exams measuring the 2011 Learning Standards, the Board of Regents approved a plan to overlap the administration of the current Regents Exams that measure the 2005 Learning Standards with the new Regents Exams that measure the 2011 Learning Standards. The plan also includes a phased-in sequence for mathematics. Adjustments have been made to the June 2014 Regents Exam schedule and the 2011 Learning Standards exam implementation timeline.
English Language Arts
Students first entering Grade 9 in the 2013 – 2014 school year and thereafter must be provided with a high school English course of study aligned to the 2011 Learning Standards and pass the new Regents Exam in ELA, (2011 Learning Standards) to meet graduation requirements. The new Regents Exam in ELA (2011 Learning Standards) will be administered at the end of Grade 11. The Regents Comprehensive Examination in English aligned with the 2005 Revised Learning Standards will be administered through 2016, with the last administration in June 2016. Students who entered Grade 9 prior to the 2013 – 2014 school year meet the requirements for graduation by enrolling in English courses aligned with the 2011 Learning Standards and passing the new Regents Exam in ELA (2011 Learning Standards) or enrolling in English courses aligned to the 2005 Revised Learning Standards and passing the Regents Comprehensive Exam in English (2005 Revised Learning Standards), while that exam is still being offered.
For the June 2014 and August 2014 administrations ONLY:
- Students enrolled in English courses aligned with the 2011 Learning Standards may, at local discretion, take the Regents Comprehensive Exam in English (2005 Revised Learning Standards) in addition to the Regents Exam in ELA (2011 Learning Standards).
- Students who take both versions of Regents Exams may include the higher of the two scores in the local transcript. The higher score will be used for institutional accountability purposes for the 2013 – 2014 school year results.
- The higher of the two scores may also be used for the State growth and locally selected measure subcomponents of a teacher’s APPR.
- Any APPR plans in effect for the 2013 – 2014 school year should reflect this local flexibility.
For more information please download the full Fact Sheet (pdf)