The NYSUT Communications Awards recognize outstanding NYSUT local union and chapter publications, websites and social media. Sponsored by NYSUT United, this year's contest covers entries produced between Jan. 1, 2014, and Dec. 31, 2014, and current websites. Only original work may be entered.
For any questions, contact Julie Bull by email: email@example.com
- General Excellence. Publications are judged on both content
and overall design, showing consistent
excellence in timely, informative content;
clear, descriptive writing; and interesting
and attractive graphic elements.
Publications should extend a clear idea of
the broad range of activities and interests
of the local. Writing, spelling, grammar and
headlines are evaluated.
- Best Article about Local or Chapter Issue. Engaging the community and putting
solution-driven unionism to work are things
our members do all the time. Enter your
inspiring articles about the work your
- Best Article about a Social Justice Issue. Enter your best stories about how your
members are making a positive difference
and helping to give voice to the voiceless.
- Best Creative Writing. It could be the style of your writing, perhaps
the way you frame a story, or the details you
use to bring attention to a deserving subject... Let's see your most captivating prose.
- Best Overall Graphic Design. Our challenge as communicators is to
present the most effective blend of words
and images to inform our members, convey a
message, set a tone and inspire action. Color
and font choices, design elements and layout
and use of photos and graphics can all
contribute to good design. Entries may
include layouts for single-page or multi-page
articles, an entire publication, website or
- Best Column/Blog. Messages that engage the audience, inspire
participation in the dialogue or encourage
action on specific issues make the best
- Best Photo/Illustration. Enter a photograph or illustration that
catches the heart and illuminates a story.
Photos must be original to the publication,
and taken by a union or staff member, or
outside photographer hired expressly for
the photo. By submitting photos in this
category, it is understood that NYSUT has
the right to reproduce them.
- Best Use of Social Media. Show us how you use digital media -
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Flickr,
Groupsites, Instagram - to communicate
immediately and effectively.
- Most User-Friendly Website. Entries are judged for creativity in making
the site user friendly by presenting content
that is useful and easy to navigate.
Best of the Best
Winners in any category are eligible for the Ted Bleecker Award - the Best of the Best - for most outstanding effort. The winning entry can be a publication, website, social media or an article.
1. All print entries must be published during the period
between Jan. 1, 2014, and Dec. 31, 2014.
2. All entries must be original, meaning locals cannot submit
material first published elsewhere.
3. An entry for General Excellence should be one entire issue.
We need four (4) copies of that entire issue.
4. Each entry must be LABELED on the FRONT with the publication
name, local name, class and category. All four copies should be
placed in one unsealed envelope indicating class and category.
5. Entries for Most User-Friendly Website, Best Column/Blog and
Best Use of Social Media must include the site's URL on the entry
6. Four (4) copies of EACH entry must be submitted.
7. NOTE: Due to the scope of the contest and the increasing number of
entries each year, entries that don't comply with the rules will be
You may enter multiple categories, but only ONE entry per category.
A panel of independent experts will judge the contest.
Entries must be postmarked by Jan. 5, 2015.
Download the entry form (PDF) and return to: Communication Awards
c/o NYSUT United
800 Troy-Schenectady Road
Winners will be notified by email.
Congratulations to last year's honorees. Click here for more information, including sample work and photos.