From the elections, to the economy, to teacher evaluations, there's a discussion going on at NYSUT United's Facebook page. Join in at www.facebook.com/NYSUTUnited. Here's a sample of what they're saying on Facebook:
• "I am thankful for a happy, healthy retirement after 33 years of teaching, and I am especially thankful for NYSUT's service to my friends who are still teaching."
— Christine Doolittle
• "Politicians should learn from Ohio that you should not legislate bills to hurt the middle class worker!"
— Terrence Calabrese
• "My chorus colleague now has 75 in one group!! A classroom teacher comes to help supervise. We have combined PE, too. Class sections have been cut back also, resulting in bigger classes."
— Deborah Simons
• "Just did a classroom observation — 33 kids and no extra chairs. I stood in the back! I really felt for my colleague."
— Heather Toyryla Dahl
• "Class size has been steadily growing — 28 students in composition classes. Yikes!"
— Christina Marie
• "More testing is NOT the way to motivate teachers or students. Trusting teachers and the institutes that prepared them, school boards and superintendents have selected the classroom leaders based on qualities needed to HELP students learn."
— William Bauza