THE PUBLIC HIGHER EDUCATION QUALITY INITIATIVE
The "Public Higher Education Quality Initiative" calls on New York state to:
- Provide increased funding and a real maintenance of effort for SUNY and CUNY four-year campuses that includes mandatory costs (collective bargaining, energy and other inflationary costs).
- Provide an increase of $250 per full-time equivalent student to begin to move towards the promise that was made by the state forty years ago to provide 40 percent of operating costs to community colleges.
- Reject performance-based funding which would short- change students and has no track-record of success
- Create an endowment to restore and rebuild SUNY and CUNY academic departments through the addition of full-time faculty and professional staff, ensuring the quality courses, programs and mentoring students deserve.
- Reject the governor's cuts to SUNY hospitals and restore funding back to the 2010-11 level of $128 million. Reject for-profit ownership operation of hospitals, and provide capital funding for comprehensive ambulatory care facilities in Brooklyn.
- Reject the 2015-16 Executive Budget assault on teacher preparation programs.
- Pass the NY Dream Act and invest strongly in student financial aid and opportunity programs, update and reform the state's Tuition Assistance Program.