NYSUT pulled off several major victories in primary elections this week. Credit goes to leaders, PAC coordinators and rank-and-file members for their tireless work on the campaigns.
“Whether in phone banks, labor walks, assembling mailings or candidate literature drops — our success comes from great teamwork and exceptional individual effort,” said NYSUT Executive Vice President Andy Pallotta.
Here are some of the highlights.
New York State Senate Highlights:
- NYSUT-endorsed challenger Leroy Comrie beat Malcolm Smith in the SD14 Democratic primary. Smith (2,530) v. Comrie (9,314) v. Avery (1,577).
- Incumbent Sen. Toby Ann Stavisky beat S.J. Jung in SD16. Stavisky (5,002) v. Jung (3,728).
- In the open SD20 seat, NYSUT-endorsed Jesse Hamilton beat Rubain Dorancy. Dorancy (4,189) v. Hamilton (9,090) v. Philpotts (728).
- Incumbent Sen. Gustavo Rivera beat back a challenge by conservative Democrat Fernando Cabrera in SD33. Rivera (5,016) v. Cabrera (3,370).
- In what may be the most interesting victory from Sept. 9, Kevin Stocker beat Mark Grisanti in the SD60 Republican primary. NYSUT was involved in the race opposing incumbent Mark Grisanti through mail and calls to our members as well as approximately $300,000 in independent expenditures spent in this race. That investment of time and resources paid dividends as Kevin Stocker sailed to victory beating Grisanti and opening the field for our endorsed candidate, Marc Panepinto. Grisanti (3,806) v. Stocker (5,093).
- Incumbent Sen. Tim Kennedy beat IDC supported challenger Betty Jean Grant in the SD63 Democratic primary. Grant (10,231) v. Kennedy (15,530).
New York State Assembly Highlights:
- NYSUT-endorsed JoAnne Simon gained a victory in the AD52 Democratic primary. Biviano (752) v. Sikora (4,137) v. Simon (5,482).
- NYSUT-endorsed Rebecca Seawright accomplished the Democratic win in AD76. Christensen (2,497) v. Hartzog (452) v. Menegon (667) v. Seawright (3,000).
- NYSUT-endorsed Latoya Joyner easily dominated in AD77.Curry (276) v. Joyner (2,351) v. Mack (201) v. Palomino (546).
- Incumbent Assemblywoman Janet Duprey pulled off a slim victory over Karen Bisso in the AD115 Republican primary. Duprey (1,699) v. Bisso (1,598).
- Assemblyman Bill Magee won the Democratic primary in AD121. Magee (1,924) v. Hennessy (1,364).
- Incumbent Assemblyman Mark Johns conquered the AD135 Republican primary defeating Calvin Frelier. Johns (1,699) v. Frelier (289).
- Assemblywoman Crystal Peoples-Stokes won in the AD141 Democratic primary Peoples-Stokes (8,528) v. Thompson (4,158) v. Nichols (955).
- In the open AD143 Democratic primary, NYSUT-endorsed Mark Mazurek was victorious. Brandon (3,583) v. Mazurek (4,192).
“We are already in full swing working on the general election and Nov. 4 will be here before you know it!” Pallotta said. “Thank you for all that you have done in the primaries and for what you will be doing over the next six weeks.”
Here’s a complete listing of primary results, and be sure to visit the MAC for all of your election-related information.