Via our national affiliate AFT:
On September 20th, Hurricane Maria survivors, along with advocates and allies, will be staging mass vigils across the country to mourn the victims of Hurricane Maria and demand justice for Puerto Rico.
AFT is joining the Hispanic Federation, the Power 4 Puerto Rico Coalition, CPD, faith based networks and others in protesting the administration’s callous indifference to Puerto Rican suffering.
We also are calling for accountability from members of Congress while urging everyone to support candidates this November who support Puerto Rico. There’s much more that remains to be done in Puerto Rico with regards to education, health care, environment, emergency preparedness, infrastructure and economic redevelopment.
5 Simple Steps to Take Action for Puerto Rico
Step #1. Join an event near you.
Visit www.boricuasremember.com & 1yearaftermaria.comfor details
Sept #2. Sign the 'Take Action for Puerto Rico' petition
Step #3. Watch share AFT president Randi Weingarten's video on the need to strengthen public education in Puerto Rico.
Strengthening the public education system in Puerto Rico is essential to rebuilding and revitalizing Puerto Rico. There is no quick fix, there are evidence-based practices that enrich teaching and learning. The children, families and educators in Puerto Rico deserve schools that support growth and success. Link to video.
Step: #4. Show some love to our brothers & sisters in #PuertoRico by amplifying your support on social media.
Sample Facebook posts
- #1YearAfterMaria we are demanding accountability, transparency and a just recovery for Puerto Rico! Join us across the country on 9/20 for vigils honoring the lives lost in the disaster and denouncing President Trump’s neglect #BoricuasRemember http://boricuasremember.com/
- On 9/20, we’ll be joined by #Power4PuertoRico’s coalition supporters at the White House to remember every life lost during and after Hurricane Maria. Join us and show solidarity with Puerto Rico! #1YearAfterMaria http://boricuasremember.com/
- Spread the word about nationwide events honoring the mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, cousins, grandparents, and friends we lost #1YearAfterMaria! Visit our #BoricuasRemember website to learn more: http://boricuasremember.com/
Sample Twitter posts
- #1YearAfterMaria @Pwr4PuertoRico is demanding accountability, transparency and a just recovery for Puerto Rico! Join us on 9/20 at vigils nationwide honoring the lives lost in the disaster and protesting @realdonaldtrump’s neglect #BoricuasRemember https://bit.ly/2nTNBzY
- On 9/20, we’ll be joined by @Pwr4PuertoRico coalition supporters at the @whitehouse to remember every life lost during & after Hurricane Maria. RT and show solidarity w/ Puerto Rico! #1YearAfterMaria #BoricuasRemember https://bit.ly/2nTNBzY
- ¡#1AñoDespuésdeMaría @Pwr4PuertoRico exige responsabilidad, transparencia y una justa recuperación para Puerto Rico! Únase con nosotros el 9/20 para recordar las vidas perdidas en el desastre y denunciar los errores del presidente Trump #BoricuasRemember https://bit.ly/2nTNBzY
- ¡RT y comparte nuestros eventos nacionales que honran a las madres, padres, hijas, hijos, primos, abuelos y amigos que perdimos #1AñoDespuésdeMaría! Visita nuestro sitio web #BoricuasRemember para obtener más información: https://bit.ly/2nTNBzY
Update your profile pictures with the 'Power 4 Puerto Rico' Twibbon filter.
TWEET your support by adding a #1YearAfterMaria twibbon filter to your profile picture by clicking HERE.
Step #5. Share the resources and toolkits produced by several key organizations that the AFT is working with:
Thank you for taking action for Puerto Rico!
César Moreno Pérez, Associate Director, AFT Human Rights & Community Relations Department