NYSUT continues to fight for our rights, our benefits and the professional respect we deserve.
In just the past year, this is what we have fought for and won for our members and our students.
IN NEW YORK STATE:
- 7.2% increase in school aid
- $31.2 billion in total school aid and full foundation aid funding
- $891.8 million for public higher education at SUNY and CUNY
- $106 million for the hiring of full-time faculty at SUNY and CUNY
- Elimination of the burdensome edTPA
- Suspension of APPR another year
- Addressing class size in NYC
- Fixes to Tier 6 retirement
IN SCHOOL BOARD & BUDGET ELECTIONS:
- 60 NYSUT members were elected or re-elected
- 86% of pro-education, pro-student endorsed candidates
- 99% of school budgets passed
AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL:
- Passage of the American Rescue Plan
- $170 billion in dedicated funding to advance the process of returning to in-person instruction in K-12 school buildings.
- $350 billion in state and local aid to help avoid layoffs of educators and other essential public servants
- Passage of the Inflation Reduction Act
And we’re just getting started.
This coming year, we’ll be back at it as the voice of New York’s educators in the halls of power.
- Fixing APPR permanently so you can teach and your students can learn.
- Reforming receivership which unfairly punishes schools based on flawed test scores.
- Fighting at the bargaining table for good jobs, health care, better workplace
conditions and your future.
Member support makes the difference.
NYSUT's successful advocacy wouldn't be possible without the voluntary contributions to VOTE-COPE, our union’s non-partisan advocacy fund.
Learn more at vote-cope.org.