Whether we are Black, white or brown, Native or newcomer, transgender or not, we want the freedom to be ourselves. This June as we think about the ways we show up for LGBTQ+ students as a union, we are inviting you to lead in your communities by participating in NEA’s EQUALITY WITHOUT EXCEPTIONS - PRIDE MONTH OF ACTION. We know in the face of so many attacks and threats we must be visible and show we are united. That’s why we are coming together to plan actions/events that highlight support for LGBTQ+ youth and educators in our communities.
Each action/event will be highlighted on NEA EdJustice’s national action map.
Our goal is to have events/actions supporting LGBTQ+ youth and educators from EVERY STATE. You don’t need to have every detail figured out, but sharing the name/type of event and location will get us all inspired! Please share this map far and wide.
Please see the steps below to make this PRIDE month one that inspires belonging, solidarity, and justice.
Let’s Get Started: EQUALITY WITHOUT EXCEPTIONS - PRIDE MONTH OF ACTION
Join us for Equality without Exceptions: PRIDE Month of Action as we come together for allyship, support, and strength in support of LGBTQ+ youth in our communities.
Plan an Action/Event.
There are so many ways to make your voice heard during this month of action. Here are just some ideas and resources to increase visibility and show support in your community.
- Sing out, Signs out – visibility event
Whether it’s a chorus or karaoke, bring your joy front and center as you gather near your community center, place of worship, or local park to hold signs that share your support for safe and affirming schools.
- In person or virtual rally
Join together online and center the voices of LGBTQ+ students and educators (online rally, teach-in, webinars, etc.)
- Ask your school board to pass a resolution supportive of LGBTQ+ people in the school community.
- Join with parents, educators and students to encourage your school board to ensure a welcoming and safe school environment for our LGBTQ+ students, staff, families, and caregivers (find sample language here)
Put Your Action/Event on the Map!
- Share your event and show our collective strength by posting your community action/event on the national action map.
Post on Social Media.
- Use the hashtag #PrideWins
Find More LGBTQ+ Resources