February Issue
February 05, 2014

ERS: Changed your mind about retiring? Here's what you need to do

Author: State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli
Source: NYSUT United

State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoliWhat happens if you file for retirement — and then reconsider and decide that this is not the right time for you to retire? Perhaps your change in plans has to do with a shift in personal or financial circumstances that occurred after you initially made your decision to retire. Whatever the reason, you've now decided to continue working a bit longer. If this scenario unfolds, would you know what to do to cancel your retirement application?

Q: What happens if I change my mind? Can my retirement application be canceled?

A: In the event you change your mind after filing for your retirement, you may cancel your application, providing you sign and file a Withdrawal of Application for Service Retirement (RS6354) form or you notify us in writing before your effective date of retirement. If we receive notification on or after your effective date of retirement, we cannot cancel your retirement.

Many of our forms, such as the Withdrawal of Application for Service Retirement, are required by law to be filed with the Office of the State Comptroller within specific time limits. For your form to be considered as filed with the comptroller, it must be received by either our Albany office, at 110 State St., Albany, New York, or another office of the state comptroller, such as one of our 15 consultation sites located throughout the state.

We consider the form filed on the day you deliver it to us personally or when the United States Postal Service delivers it to us. If you are concerned that your retirement withdrawal application will not reach us on time, you should send the document to us via certified mail — return receipt requested — and we will consider it being filed on the date it was mailed. You can also send the document to us via fax, but you must still mail us the original to satisfy the filing requirement.

As part of processing your retirement withdrawal, once we've received your withdrawal request, we will notify your employer. We encourage you to let your employer know too.

Q: Where can I get this form?

A: The Withdrawal of Application for Service Retirement form (RS6354), along with most retirement system forms, is available on our website at www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/forms or from any of our consultation sites. You can also contact our Call Center at 518-474-7736 in the Albany area or toll free at 866-805-0990.

Every month state Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli, sole trustee of the New York State and Local Employees' Retirement System, provides information on the system, which delivers retirement benefits to many NYSUT School-Related Professionals and other support staff. If you are an ERS member with a question of general interest, email united@nysutmail.org.

For immediate assistance, contact the ERS Call Center toll-free at 866-805-0990, or 518-474-7736 in the Capital District area.