It's time to make strides across New York State to help the American Cancer Society provide care and support for those suffering from breast cancer, and to raise hope for a cure.
In 2014, NYSUT members raised more than $1 million to help ACS answer 160,000 patient service requests; give more than 341,000 rides to patients to and from treatment; and provide 276,000 nights of free lodging to cancer patients and their families. Another 35,000 patients received items, such as wigs, to help manage the side effects of treatment.
A $50 donation could help provide five rides to and from treatment for one patient; $25 could help provide free access to 24-hour information and support via phone, email or online chats for one person.
Nationwide, the ACS reports it is currently funding 162 grants totaling more than $62 million. In New York State, grants total $3 million.
At the University at Buffalo, Jennifer Surtees, a member of the United University Professions, is using a $792,000, three-year ACS grant for cancer research. Dr. Dorothy Lane, a UUP member at Stony Brook University, earned a $300,000 ACS grant for physician training in cancer prevention.
ACS funding is needed for "the critical missions of educating students and parents about cancer prevention, to provide cancer screening and education for the uninsured or underinsured, and support for people newly diagnosed," NYSUT Vice President Catalina Fortino said in a new video posted on www.nysut.org/makingstrides.
To find out more about Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walks, to register for a walk, or to order T-shirts, visit makingstrideswalk.org/NYSUT or follow the links at www.nysut.org. Be sure to sign up on the NYSUT team page so your donation counts toward our goal.
● Recreation Park, Binghamton
● Canalside, Buffalo
● Alex T. Duffy Fairgrounds, Watertown
● Orchard Beach, Bronx n 72nd Street Bandshell Central Park, Manhattan
● Midland Beach, Staten Island
● Jones Beach State Park, Field 5, Long Island
● Woodbury Common, Central Valley
● Prospect Park, Brooklyn
● Washington Park Parade Grounds, Albany
● Flushing Meadow Corona Park , Queens
● Manhattanville College, Westchester County
● Masonic Campus, Utica
● SRC Arena, Onondaga Community College, Syracuse
● Frontier Field, Rochester
● Jamestown Community College, Jamestown
● Suffolk Community College Eastern Campus, Riverhead
● Queensbury High School, Queensbury
BY THE NUMBERS
Total raised by NYSUT members in 2015
Total raised by NYSUT members since 2002