March-April 2018 Issue
March 08, 2018

ERS: Have all the service credit you deserve?

Source: NYSUT United

School employees in non-teaching titles are eligible to become members of the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System (ERS). If you’re an ERS member, ser­vice credit is one of the main factors that will determine your retirement benefit. Many school employees work for 10 months out of the year or work a part-time schedule. Have you ever wondered how this affects your service credit?

If you’re a school employee who works full-time, you receive one year of service credit per school year. Generally, a full-time, 10-month school year requires at least 180 days worked in any school year. However, depending on your employer, your full-time academic schedule could require a minimum of 200 or 170 days.

Part-time school employees earn service credit based on the number of days they work. Part-time credit is calculated by dividing the number of days worked by the number of days in a full-time year. Let’s say a school employee works 135 days in a year, and 180 is considered full-time: 135 days worked/180 days in a year = 0.75 years of service credit, or 75 percent of a full-time year.

The most convenient way to find out how much service you’ve earned with ERS is through Retirement Online, our self-service tool that gives you access to your retirement account information. You can register or sign in at

You can also check your Member Annual Statement, which is provid­ed to you every summer. Statements are sent out from May to July, and school employees usually receive their statements first. For most mem­bers, your next statement will show how much service credit you’ve earned for the past state fiscal year (April 1, 2017 – March 31, 2018). It will also show your total service credit as of March 31, 2018.

If you think you are missing ser­vice credit that you may be entitled to, please read our publication, Service Credit for Tiers 2–6 (, to find out what types of service are credit­able and how to apply. You may also be able to receive credit for military service. It is very important that you claim — as early as possible — all the service credit you are entitled to receive because records document­ing your previous service may be lost or destroyed with the passage of time.

If you have questions specific to your account, please contact us at

NYSUT ERS consultants

Most NYSUT School-Related Professionals* belong to the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System (ERS). NYSUT ERS consultants are available to help SRP members navigate the retirement system. Consultants can answer questions, provide forms and help members contact the ERS. Contact any one of our consultants for assistance.

* Note: Certified teaching assistants belong to the state Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS).

State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoliIn every issue, state Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli, administra­tive head of the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) and trustee of the Common Retirement Fund, provides informa­tion on the System, which delivers retirement benefits to many NYSUT School-Related Professionals and other support staff. If you are an ERS member with a question of gen­eral interest, email

For immediate assistance, call the ERS Contact Center toll-free at 866-805-0990 or 518-474-7736 in the Capital District.