New York State Certification, Professional Development
March 27, 2013

Fact Sheet 13-02: Professional Development Requirements for Level III Teaching Assistant Certification

Source: NYSUT Research and Educational Services
Share This Article...

Download complete fact sheet. (94k pdf)

In February 2004, the Board of Regents adopted changes to Part 80 Regulations that govern certification in NYS, creating new certificate titles for teaching assistants and teachers. Level I-III certificates replaced the Temporary License/Continuing Certificates for Teaching Assistants, yet Continuing Certificates are still valid for teaching assistants certified prior to 2004 and still regularly employed in a public school.

Individuals holding Level III teaching assistant certification are required to complete 75 clock hours of professional development every five years to maintain their certificate. Only Level III teaching assistants are required to complete continuing professional development for certification purposes.


When must the professional development occur?

The professional development must occur during the five year period which is defined as beginning on July 1st after the effective date of the level III teaching assistant certificate (the date actually printed on the certificate). For example, the five year professional development period for an individual holding a Level III teaching assistant certificate issued on September 1, 2011 would begin on July 1, 2012 and end on June 30, 2017.

What type of professional development is acceptable?

For individuals employed in a public school or Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES), the district’s professional development plan (PDP) must indicate acceptable professional development. For individuals employed in nonpublic schools, not regularly employed, or laid off from employment in a public school, professional development should be related to the duties regularly performed by a teaching assistant and can be in a content area(s) or pedagogy.

Can the professional development requirement be reduced or adjusted?

Yes. It can be reduced by 10 percent for each professional development year an individual is not regularly employed or laid off by a public school or BOCES. In addition, the hours can be adjusted for good cause upon request to the State Education Department (SED).

How is professional development reported to the State Education Department?

If you are employed by a public school or BOCES, the district or BOCES reports all of your professional development hours to SED via the Office of Teaching Initiatives (OTI) TEACH system. If you are not regularly employed (less than 90 days) or if you are laid off by a public school or BOCES, you must report your professional development hours annually to SED using the TEACH system.

What type of professional development records must be maintained by level III teaching assistants?

Individuals must keep personal records of completed professional development that include the provider name, date and location of the activity, description of the activity, hours completed, and attendance verification. These records must be retained for a minimum of seven years and be made available upon request by SED.

Download complete fact sheet. (94k pdf)

NYSUT Footer
Our Voice, Our Values, Our Union