English Language Learners
January 07, 2016

Yours, Mine, Ours: English Language Learners (ELLs) in New York State

Source: Research and Educational Services

Yours, Mine, Ours: English Language Learners

Looking for a helpful resource to hand out in the fall to parents of English language learners? The English version of NYSUT's ELL Parent Booklet is now available.

Go to nysut.org/publications


New York State United Teachers (NYSUT) is very pleased to have partnered with the New York State Congress of Parents and Teachers, Inc. (NYS PTA) in developing this guide for parents of English language learners (ELL). This partnership between our two organizations reflects the positive relationship that should exist between home and school. We can say from experience, that when it comes to helping students do well in school, parents’ support makes a big difference.

Teachers know that it takes all of us — parents and educators — working together to help students do well. We cannot, and should not, do it alone. You know your children best. And no one is better prepared to help us, help them, than you are. It is only when parents, who understand their child, and teachers, who have knowledge of classroom instruction, work together, that children will reach their fullest potential.

When parents and educators work together, the best interests of the child are met. We hope that this guidebook will provide you with the information you need to help your child succeed in school. Know your rights as a parent so you can be a strong advocate for your child’s future.

Bonnie Russell,
President New York State Congress of Parents and Teachers, Inc.

Karen E. Magee,
President, NYSUT

Topics Covered:

  • What help is available in school if my child speaks little or no English? 
  • What are ENL instructional services?
  • If my child is eligible for services, how much ENL instruction will my child receive?
  • As a parent, may I refuse ENL services for my child?
  • What bilingual services could my child receive?
  • When are schools required to provide bilingual services?
  • What testing accommodations will my child receive as an English language learner?
  • What other instructional support services are available for my child?
  • How will I be informed of my child’s school performance?
  • What services are available when my child is no longer eligible for ENL services?

For further information contact:
Susan Lafond, Assistant in Educational Services at NYSUT
800-342-9810, ext. 6521, or slafond@nysutmail.org