Now is the time for local leaders to let retiring members know what is needed to maintain their NYSUT membership by sharing the following checklist.
☑ If you are retiring, you must maintain NYSUT membership as a retiree in order to continue participating in NYSUT Member Benefits Trust-endorsed programs. There are a couple of ways to accomplish this.
☑ If your local union offers retiree membership, you must continue membership within that local. This also provides you with paid retiree membership in NYSUT and the American Federation of Teachers.
☑ If you wish to continue as a retiree of NEA, you must join as a retiree of the national, which now requires a $300 enrollment fee. For information on how to join and an enrollment form, contact retiree services at (800) 342-9810 or call Andrea Tersigni at (518) 732-6238.
☑ If your local does not provide some form of retiree membership, you will continue as an at-large retiree member of NYSUT through a retiree council in your region.
☑ If you have questions about continuing NYSUT Member Benefits Trust-endorsed programs or payroll/pension deduction, please contact Member Benefits at (800) 626-8101.
☑ If you have questions about continuing NEA National Member Benefits, please contact NEA National Member Benefits at (800) 637-4636.
☑ If you have questions about how to maintain NYSUT membership or would like any further information on NYSUT retiree programs, please contact the NYSUT Retiree Services Consultant serving your region.
Retiree Services Consultants:
- Buffalo area (RC 1-3, 44): Tracy Beatty, (716) 634-7132.
- Jamestown area (RC 4, 46): Louise Ortman, (716)-664-7425.
- Rochester area (RC 5-6): Peter Randazzo, (585) 454-5550.
- Syracuse/Utica area (RC 7-8): Anne Marie Voutsinas, (315) 431-4040.
- North Country/Capital District (RC 9-10): Ruth Shippee, (518) 783-7977.
- Southern Tier (RC 11, 45): Mark Padgett, (607) 786-5742.
- Greater Capital District/Mid-Hudson area (RC 12-13): Jennifer Shaad Derby, (518) 783-7977.
- Orange, Rockland, Putnam and Westchester Counties (RC 14-16): Ellen Pincus, (914) 592-4411.
- Nassau region (RC 17-19): Claire Zatorski, (516) 496-2035.
- Suffolk region (RC 20-23): Joan Perrini, (631) 273-8822.
- Florida (RC 43): Judy Kalb, (561) 994-4929, ext. 24.