Many NYSUT members have
achieved special recognition for their
work, both professionally and in their
communities. The RA will recognize
the following members with awards:
- “Not for Ourselves Alone:” The Sandy Feldman Outstanding Leadership Award, recognizing lifetime achievement, will be presented to Debra Penny, United Federation of Teachers, and Dawn Sherwood, Hempstead Classroom Teachers Association.
- The 2022 New York State Teacher
of the Year is Carly Santangelo, Cuba-
Rushford Teachers Association.
- School-Related Professionals
(SRP) Members of the Year are
Rosemarie Thompson, United
Federation of Teachers, and
Lois Emerick, North Babylon
- Retiree Members of the Year are
Veronica O'Connor, Pelham Teachers
Association, and Barbara Waldmann,
United Federation of Teachers.
- Health Care Professionals
Members of the Year are Sandra Nin,
United Federation of Teachers, and
Mary Brooks, Alliance of School Based
- Higher Education Members
of the Year are Norma Chrisman,
Mohawk Valley Community College
Professionals Association, and
Jean Grassman, Professional Staff
- Matthew "Dezy" DiStefano,
Sachem Central Teachers Association
will be honored with the Humanitarian
Delegates will also recognize
winners of the Ken Kurzweil Social
Justice Recognition Awards and
acknowledge this year’s local and
individual Community Service Award recipients.
Stay tuned -- more to come.