"The work of NYSUT Health Care Professionals is vital not only to individuals but to society as a whole, the larger labor movement, and to students across New York State."
- NYSUT Vice President, Paul Pecorale
The NYSUT Health Care Professionals Council advocates for the union’s more than 15,000 health care professionals. The council represents members who are registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, certified nursing assistants, clinical instructors, psychologists, guidance counselors, school counselors, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, physicians, pharmacists and lab technicians. These professionals are employed in public and private sector schools, hospitals, universities, visiting nurse associations, private practice and residential and day treatment facilities.
- Provides a forum for health care members to discuss concerns and challenges faced by the profession and in the workplace.
- Identifies the information needs of health care members.
- Identifies professional development needs and recommends ways to address those needs.
- Sponsors the annual NYSUT Professional Issues Forum on Health Care where health care professionals can strengthen their professional skills, enhance their practice and network with other professionals who perform similar work.
- Encourages and assists unrepresented health care professionals to organize and affiliate with NYSUT.
- Identifies and develops proposals to address legislative and/or regulatory issues.
The council participates in legislative hearings and advocates on issues, such as safe patient handling, safe staffing ratios, anti-mandatory overtime for home care nurses, minimum school nurse staffing requirements and opposition to diabetic care administered by non-medical licensed personnel in schools, that are critical to health care professionals and the communities they serve. The council also recommends action and advocates for Congressional legislation, such as nurse staffing levels that would protect patients and nurses.
- Corinne Tracy, Mid-Hudson
- Martha Livingston, Nassau
- David Curry, North Country/Plattsburgh
- Melanie Cunningham, North Country/Potsdam
- Linda Dimick, Rochester
- David Lawrence, Rochester
- Kanika Moxley, Rochester
- Elizabeth Peters, Rochester
- Dawn Loyd-Mathews, Suffolk
- Jody Barnes, Syracuse
- Carol Braund, Syracuse
- Nancy Barth-Miller, Tarrytown/NYC
- Robert Cain, Tarrytown/NYC
- June Feder, Tarrytown/NYC
- Mary Jo Ginese, Tarrytown/NYC
- Anne Goldman, Tarrytown/NYC
- Mindy Karten-Bornemann, Tarrytown/NYC
- Ellen McTigue, Tarrytown/NYC
- Vanessa Pressley, Tarrytown/NYC
- Howard Sandau, Tarrytown/NYC
- Rosemarie Thompson, Tarrytown/NYC
- Raquel Webb Geddes, Tarrytown/NYC
UPDATE: Feb. 28, 2018