Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
UPDATE: August 23, 2021
In 16 locations around the state, sneaker-clad walkers will be raising money throughout the month of October for research and support for cancer patients through the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walks. Additionally, ACS will host a live digital walk experience called “Making Strides on the Go” for anyone who is not comfortable being in person. The app will feature a music play list and survivor stories.
NYSUT is a flagship sponsor of Making Strides, and even when the walks were cancelled last year, devoted NYSUT members held creative drive-by and virtual events to raise more than $273,000 for the cause, ACS reports.
“Since 2002, when NYSUT became a flagship sponsor of the statewide Making Strides event, our members have raised more than $15 million for research and support,” said J. Philippe Abraham, NYSUT secretary-treasurer, whose office oversees the statewide union’s social justice initiatives. “That’s a fundraising record to be proud of and I’m honored to lead this important union effort.”
Learn more about NYSUT's participation in this year's Making Strides events.
Visit the Team NYSUT page for more information about walks across the state and to join a team in your area.
- Oct. 10: Jamestown Community College, JamestownConey Island Boardwalk, Brooklyn
- Oct. 16: Outer Harbor, Buffalo
- Oct. 17: Woodbury Common Outlets, Hudson Valley • Midland Beach, Staten Island • Frontier Field, Rochester • Flushing Meadows, Queens • Orchard Beach, Bronx • Washington Park, Albany • Manhattanville College, Purchase • Central Park, Manhattan • Jones Beach State Park, Nassau County
- Oct. 24: Glens Falls City Park, Glens Falls • Recreation Park, Binghamton • Clinton Square, Syracuse
- Oct. 30: Grangabel Park, Riverhead, Suffolk County
How to Join a NYSUT Team
JOIN A NYSUT TEAM AND STAY INFORMED
- Go to the NYSUT Making Strides page at the ACS site.
- Click "Join Us".
- Enter your zip code.
- Sign up for a NYSUT team at a Making Strides walk near you.
Are you starting a NYSUT team?
If you choose to "Start a team" as a Team Captain, be sure to select NYSUT - New York State United Teachers from the drop-down of National Team corporations, and incorporate "NYSUT - New York State United Teachers" into your team name.
Or, just search for any existing NYSUT team to become a team member!
Why We are Making Strides
Our teams participate in Making Strides Against Breast Cancer events across the country and we've taken our leadership in the fight against breast cancer to the next level by joining the Making Strides National Partners Program. We are thrilled about the difference that our members and their families are making to help eliminate breast cancer as a life-threatening disease. NYSUT has been a flagship sponsor of the American Cancer Society event since 2002, and the efforts of the union and its members have generated support, energy, awareness, volunteers and more than $15 million during that time to fight the disease with research, information, services and access to mammograms for women who need them.