Certification for Teaching Assistants and Other School Personnel


Get the facts on certification for teaching assistants and other school personnel in New York State.

Certificate Types
It is important for NYSUT members to know which certificate(s) they possess and how to maintain these credentials in order to protect their career and livelihood.

Certification Requirements
Everything you need to know about certification requirements for teaching assistants post-February 2004.

Registering with SED
The registration process is done using the State Education Department’s (SED) online TEACH system and is required every 5 years thereafter.

Ongoing Certification and CTLE Requirements
Level III Teaching Assistants and professionally certified classroom teachers/educational leaders will be required to complete Continuing Teacher & Leader Education hours during each five year registration period.

Social Work Licensure and School Social Worker Certification
In New York State, social workers are both licensed professionals and certified school employees. In 2005 the State Education Department made changes to certification regulations to bring them into compliance with the professional licensure of social workers. Learn more.

Training in Harassment, Bullying and Discrimination Prevention and Intervention
In June 2012, the Legislature enacted Chapter 102 of the Laws of 2012, which amended the Dignity Act to include a requirement that school professionals applying for a certificate or license on or after July 1, 2013 complete training on the social patterns of harassment, bullying and discrimination. Learn more.