Health and Safety Considerations for Reopening Public Schools. June 12, 2020.
As schools start planning for reopening this fall, it's crucial for local unions to be involved and have a voice. NYSUT's Health and Safety program has prepared an overview of what should go into a reopening plan as well a Frequently Asked Questions to help local leaders.
Fact Sheet No 19-16: Changes to Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR). June 11, 2020.
The Governor’s executive order exempts, to the extent necessary, school districts from completing annual professional performance reviews for classroom teachers and building principals during the 2019-20 school year without the loss of state aid.
Fact Sheet 20-14: Provision of Services to English Language Learners During Statewide School Closures. May 21, 2020.
The PDF version of this Fact Sheet has been organized in a chart format to present a side-by-side comparison of the original regulations with the related emergency regulatory changes that provide flexibility. These temporary provisions are in effect during COVID-19-related school closures.
Fact Sheet 20-13: Certification Changes in Response to COVID-19. May 7, 2020.
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, the State Education Department (SED) has amended several regulations that govern certification in NY. These amendments may help individuals with certificates that expire in August 2020, have applied/are applying for certificates or certificate extensions before September 1, 2020, as well as special education teachers who teach in a special class.
Family-School Engagement in the Time of Coronavirus. April 20, 2020.
This brief provides strategies and tips to help educators and schools to engage with families for relationship building during the time of the coronavirus and school closures. These strategies may be used virtually after schools reopen.
Fact Sheet: Telepractice and Students with Disabilities. April 20, 2020.
The COVID-19 health crisis and resulting school closures have resulted in a need to shift the provision of service delivery for students with disabilities from traditional face-to-face methods to technology for remote learning.
5 Social Media Tips in Times of Crisis. April 17, 2020.
These are extraordinary times for students, families and educators. Social media can be tricky; it's more important than ever to be professional and positive.
NYSUT Fact Sheet 20-11: Teaching Amid the COVID-19 Crisis. April 15, 2020.
This guidance is designed to provide considerations for instructional practice as educators and school districts reassess their personal, building, and district-wide learning plans. These strategies may be applied to both virtual and non-virtual teaching and learning to support sound instructional practice even as schools return to on-site learning.
NYSUT Fact Sheet 20-10: NYS Certification: Students with Disabilities. April 6, 2020.
Includes information on grade-level extensions, statements of continued eligibility, and limited and subject area extensions.
NYSUT Fact Sheet 20-9: Trauma-Informed Instructional Practices. March 31, 2020.
Trauma-informed instruction establishes specific practices to help students understand their emotions and what’s happening during these uncertain times. Trauma-informed practices benefit all students and can help them build skills to cope during this traumatic time in their lives.
NYSUT Fact Sheet 20-08: "Continuity of Learning" Guidance for Educators. March 25, 2020.
The key issues to address during the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis start with health and safety concerns and the social emotional needs of students and staff. This Fact Sheet was compiled by our Research and Educational Services team.
For Families: Resources and Activities. March 26, 2020.
Here are resources and activities - both online and offline - for parents to share with their children, as curated by our Research and Educational Services team.
NYSUT Exec. Vice President Jolene DiBrango leads Twitter conversation on best practices in education during the coronavirus crisis. Check out the complete archive.
- NYSED Memo: Supplement #2 - Provision of Services to Students With Disabilities. June 20, 2020.
- NYSED Memo: Supplement #3 - Provision of Services to Students With Disabilities. June 20, 2020.
- NYSED: Interim Advisory for In-Person Special Education Services and Instruction. June 8, 2020.
- Parental Right to Decline Examination Waivers. May 27, 2020.
- UPDATE: FAQ on Regents Examination and Graduation Requirements. May 26, 2020.
- NYSED: Provision of Services to English Language Learners and World Languages Students. May 13, 2020.
- NYSED: Supporting Students and Families Disconnected from School. May 11, 2020.
- NYSED: Guidance on Graduation and Course Requirement Changes. April 7, 2020.
- NYSED: June Regents Exams Cancelled, Graduation Guidance Updated. April 7, 2020.
- NYSED: Revised Timeline Next Generation Learning Standards: English Language Arts. April 7, 2020.
- NYSED: Revised Timeline Next Generation Learning Standards: Mathetmatics. April 7, 2020.
- NYSED: Board of Regents Acts on Series of Emergency Regulations. April 6, 2020.
- NYSED: Guidance for Educational Preparation Programs (edTPA). March 30, 2020.
- NYSED: Provision of Services to Students with Disabilities During Statewide School Closures. March 27, 2020.
- NYSED Statement Regarding Elementary- and Intermediate-Level State Assessments. March 20, 2020.
- NYSED Guidance to Approved Special Education Schools. March 20, 2020.
- NYSED and Public Television Stations Announce Expanded Remote Learning. March 20, 2020.
- NYSED: Additional Guidance on Statewide School Closures Due to Novel Coronavirus. March 17, 2020.
- AFT: Resources for Educators and School Support Staff
- NEA: Schools and Coronavirus: What You Should Know